Hillsong Worship has been on the forefront of worship music and songwriting since Darlene Zschech. Unfortunately, after Darlene and Brooke Fraser left, they had a season where there was a lack of female-led songs for the church. But I write this with much excitement, because ever since Hillsong United released "Oceans", there has been a rise of females on their albums (including some great songs from Hillsong Young and Free). Their most recent Hillsong Worship release, "Open Heaven, River Wild", continues this trend.
Here are the female-led songs on this album:
- Love On The Line- This is a great 6/8 tune! You don't find too many of these anymore. Could be a great 2nd song in the set because it has great energy.
- Open Heaven (River Wild)- My personal favorite! This song is actually a duet, but with some tweaking, you could lead this song on your own in the same key that is recorded. Powerful lyrics asking the Holy Spirit to reign.
- Transfiguration- A beautiful ballad, however it jumps the octave at the end which may make it difficult for some vocalists.
- Here With You- Another ballad that gradually builds throughout the song. The lyrics share how everything changes with God.
- Never Forsaken- Yet another ballad (gosh, the ladies get all the ballads!). Very singable for a congregation.
What are your favorite songs on this new album? And have you tried any out at your church yet? Let us know by commenting below.